Tuesday, September 10, 2013

August- The Toughest Month

Sun worshippers may love it, but gardeners know the next 30 days will likely be the hardest part of our season.

Barring hurricane spawned rain events, August is traditionally our hottest, driest month. So, repeat after me, the Texas gardener’s mantra: Mulch is good, I love my water hose. Mulch is good, I love my water hose…

We actually had a great week of rain mid-July and not a lot of extreme heat so far. Just keep an eye on tender plants like hydrangeas or newly planted trees and shrubs, and check your sprinklers regularly for clogged nozzles, worn out rotors, low heads, heads blocked by shrubs, etc. It only takes a week or so to do serious damage to lawns and landscapes that are not receiving enough water, so stay alert!

You can't beat old fashion hand watering!

No comments:

Post a Comment